Friday, September 11, 2009

Pork... Pork! PORK!

Memphis is a hard place for vegetarians, vegans and people with heart problems (maybe that's why they call it the heartland (poor joke I know)) On my first day here I found one place that was willing to make a vegan meal; an irish pub called Silky O'Sullivan's where the food was so hot I couldn't taste my ale after I'd finished eating, hehe. It also introduced me to the strange concept of serving food in all plastic containers and with plastic cutlery for an extra challenge (I felt sorry for the people with a steak o_O).

Well, I went to the mother of all tourist traps: Graceland ^^
The house was a well preserved piece of the 70's. And I saw a woman break down crying when she came to Elvis' grave. It was cool to look at the trophy room where there were scandinavian gold records hanging on the wall. I decided that paying an ekstra $30 to see all that Graceland had to offer wasn't worth it so I quickly made my way to the Sun Studios afterwards.

Sun Studios ... damn! A three room slice of rock history. Such a tiny little place that had such a big impact on the world and it had an impact on me unlike Graceland. Sun Studios was sealed off after Sam Philips moved shop in the 60's so when it opened up as a museum much later it was exactly as it looked in the 50's when Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins recorded there. Soooo cool!

I also spent way too much time in the Rock and Soul Museum. There was a lot of stuff I didn't know. Plus I spent half an hour listening to Robert Johnson - king of the delta blues. Mmmm ...

I went to my second Gibson factory as well. Rock on \m/

There's more to tell but I'm out of time on the computer.

I'm going to Austin now. Texas here I come!

No comments: